If you had to make the tough decision to place your loved one in a nursing home, you most likely did so with a heavy heart, as all you can do is hope those in the nursing home treat your loved one with the compassion and care that you would. Unfortunately, this does not always happen. If you believe that your loved one is a victim of nursing home negligence or abuse, there is a very good chance that you are now looking to pursue financial compensation and hold that nursing home accountable. We are here to help. Please continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable New York City medical malpractice attorney to learn more about nursing home negligence and how we can help you and your loved one attain the justice you both deserve. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What are the most common signs of nursing home negligence or abuse?
Of course, nobody wants to imagine that their loved one is being harmed in their nursing home, however, looking out for certain signs may make all the difference in the world. Some signs of nursing home negligence/abuse that you should be looking out for are as follows:
- Malnutrition or dehydration
- Complaints of physical or verbal abuse
- Signs of fear when certain aids enter the room
- Soiled bed
- Unexplained bruises
- Possessions missing from their room
- Unclean living conditions
What should I do if I believe that someone I know is being neglected/abused in a nursing home?
If you believe that your loved one is being neglected, you must act fast. There are several steps you can take to ensure your loved one’s safety. They are as follows:
- Call the police, especially if you believe your loved one is in imminent danger. They can transport your loved one to a hospital and document the incident.
- Take pictures or videos of the incident/unsafe conditions that you believe are putting your loved one at risk.
- Report the incident to nursing home management.
- Ask any potential witnesses for their names and phone numbers.
- Ensure that your loved one receives medical treatment and that you receive all documentation relating to your loved one’s injuries.
- Retain the services of an experienced New York City medical malpractice attorney who can work to uncover all additional evidence needed to satisfy the burden of proof in a medical malpractice claim.
Take all of these steps quickly–in most cases, you will only have 2.5 years from the date of the incident to file your medical malpractice claim. We are here to help. All you have to do is ask.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK CITY FIRM
At Mark L. Bodner, P.C., we are committed to guiding clients through each step of the medical malpractice and personal injury claims process. Our firm understands how traumatic it can be when you become a victim of negligence. We are prepared to fight on your behalf to help you recover a maximum compensation award. Contact our firm today.