Read on to learn the importance of seeking immediate medical attention after an accident and how an experienced New York City personal injury attorney at Mark L. Bodner, P.C., can help you obtain the treatment you require and collect the financial compensation you deserve.
How does receiving medical attention after an accident help my personal injury claim?
First and foremost, receiving medical attention immediately after an accident is necessary to determine what your injuries are and what treatment you need to heal. But from a financial standpoint, it is necessary to build a successful personal injury case that will compensate for these future treatments. Below are the ways in which immediate medical attention will benefit your claim:
- Satisfying the burden of proof: for a personal injury claim, you are required to collect evidence that will back up every statement that establishes the other party’s negligence. Thus, medical documentation is an essential piece of evidence.
- Establishing causation: the longer you wait, the harder it is to prove that the accident was the direct cause of your injuries.
- Establishing seriousness: Any delay will invite the jury, judge, and the other party’s insurance company to question the seriousness of your injuries and therefore the need for compensated future treatments.
- Maximizing your settlement offer: There may be underlying issues that you cannot detect without a medical professional’s analysis. So if you do not seek aid, you may not know the full extent of your injuries, the total cost of treatment, and the total amount you should settle for. And once you accept a settlement that does not cover all of your expenses, you cannot go back and request more.
- Filing within the statute of limitations: Delaying medical assistance may indirectly delay your realization that you need to file a personal injury claim. Filing after New York’s statute of limitations of three years from the date of your accident will bar you from suing.
If you require any further assistance with seeking medical care or filing your claim, do not hesitate in reaching out to a skilled New York City personal injury attorney today.
How do I receive the proper medical attention after an accident?
Below are the steps you should take to receive proper medical attention that will benefit your personal injury claim:
- Call 911. The police will likely call medical attention to the scene of the accident on your behalf.
- Once they are on the scene, allow the medical professionals to attend to you immediately.
- After leaving the scene, go to the hospital independently to receive any other necessary treatment.
- Collect all medical bills and documents throughout the process.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK CITY FIRM
At Mark L. Bodner, P.C., we are committed to guiding clients through each step of the medical malpractice and personal injury claims process. Our firm understands how traumatic it can be when you become a victim of negligence. We are prepared to fight on your behalf to help you recover a maximum compensation award. Contact our firm today.