Unfortunately, throughout Memorial Day Weekend, many drivers operate their motor vehicles while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. This may lead to serious car accidents on New York roads, and ultimately, devastating injuries and damages. Follow along to find out examples of catastrophic injuries due to Memorial Day Weekend car accidents and how a proficient New York auto accident attorney at Mark L. Bodner, P.C. can help you through this difficult time.
What are examples of catastrophic injuries due to Memorial Day Weekend car accidents?
To reiterate, Memorial Day Weekend has the highest average fatality rate from car accidents compared to other holiday weekends. Even if your car accident may not have been fatal, you may have nonetheless incurred catastrophic injuries. Just some examples may include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- A traumatic brain injury.
- Spinal cord damage.
- Organ damage.
- Loss of a limb or limbs.
- Injuries causing paralysis.
- Serious and extensive burns.
With that being said, such permanent and irreversible injuries may take a serious toll on your body and its systems. Namely, it may affect the functions of your central nervous system, gastrointestinal system, urinary system, respiratory system, circulatory system, excretory system, and/or reproductive system. In the end, this may significantly diminish your quality and enjoyment of life.
What should I do if I am involved in a catastrophic car accident?
If you have incurred any of the aforementioned catastrophic injuries due to a car accident that occurred over Memorial Day Weekend, then you must not stand idly by. Instead, you must hold the negligent, intoxicated driver responsible for their actions. This may be accomplished through a personal injury claim. Without further ado, you should take the following approach after your catastrophic car accident:
- Call the police to come to the scene of your accident; they will dispatch an ambulance on your behalf.
- Go to the EMTs and paramedics that arrive at the scene of your accident; allow them to transport you to the emergency room later on.
- Take photos and videos at the scene of your accident; capture your injuries, car damages, and even hazardous road conditions.
- Speak with the other drivers involved in your accident; ask for their full name, phone number, license plate number, driver’s license number, insurance policy number, etc.
- Speak with witnesses present at the scene of your accident; ask for their contact information and their willingness to testify in your case.
Of note, the statute of limitations for your claim will be three years or so from the date of your accident. It should go without saying that you must consult with a talented New York City personal injury attorney immediately. Give us a call whenever you can.