Unfortunately, medical errors are commonly seen throughout the New York medical community. But one of the most frequently reported incidents is patients who are prescribed and ingest the wrong medication. Follow along to find out what happens if you are prescribed the wrong medication and how a proficient New York City medication error attorney at Mark Bodner, P.C. can help you seek justice.
Why may I have been prescribed the wrong prescription medication?
Of note, a medication error is a form of medical malpractice. Meaning, this is when a doctor or nurse acts negligently and prescribes and/or administers the incorrect kind of medication and/or the incorrect amount of medication to a patient, which causes them pain and suffering that could have been easily avoided.
With that being said, you may have been prescribed the wrong prescription medication if your doctor or nurse acted negligently in any of the following ways:
- Your doctor or nurse did not thoroughly review your chart (i.e., allergies, illnesses, current medications, etc.) before prescribing or administering the medication.
- Your doctor or nurse did not thoroughly consider the adverse side effects that come with the medication.
- Your doctor or nurse did not thoroughly monitor your progress when you were on the medication.
- Your doctor or nurse transcribes the wrong medication for you.
- Your doctor or nurse makes an illegible transcription of the medication for you.
What happens if I ingest the wrong prescription medication?
If you have been prescribed the wrong medication or the improper dosage of medication, then you may be unnecessarily suffering from its consequences. For one, you may have heightened medical bills or an extended period away from work because your treatment needed to be unexpectedly extended. What’s worse, your illness may have escalated to being incurable when it was treatable if done so correctly from the start.
In this case, you may have a medical malpractice claim on your hands. Your eligibility will come down to your ability to prove the following as true:
- You were the patient of a specified doctor or nurse.
- This doctor or nurse deviated from the medical standard of care established by their peers in the medical community.
- This doctor or nurse prescribed or administered the wrong type or dosage of medication.
- You suffered serious injuries and damages as a direct result of this medication error.
For legal representation, you must seek a talented New York City hospital negligence attorney at your earliest convenience. We look forward to representing you in and out of court.