If you are suffering from a medical issue, you will likely be prescribed or administered a specific medication that will promote your healing process. What’s unfortunate is if this medication is erroneous and it actually perpetuates your medical issue. In the event that you find yourself in this unfortunate situation, you just might have a medical malpractice claim on your hands. Read on to discover what you should do after suffering a medication error and how a seasoned New York City medication error attorney at Mark L. Bodner, P.C., can help you in building a legal strategy.
Many of us find ourselves in situations where we turn to medical professionals in a time of need. One of the most common medical errors involves prescribing and dosing medication.
What should I do if I suffer from a medication error?
If you have recently suffered from a medication error, then you may have a medical malpractice claim on your hands. But you must be sure that you have a valid case before moving any further. So, with that being said, below are circumstances in which a medical malpractice claim is commonly applicable:
- You were prescribed the wrong dosage of medication for your medical issue.
- You were prescribed medication for your medical issue that caused you to experience a serious allergic reaction.
- Your trusted medical professional chose the wrong route in which to administer the prescribed medication to you.
- Your trusted medical professional transcribed the prescribed medication in a way that was illegible.
If any of the above are relevant to you, then you may proceed. And to satisfy the burden of proof for your case, you must be able to prove the following:
- Your trusted medical professional prescribed or administered a medication that a reasonable medical professional would not have prescribed or administered.
- You were injured and received serious damages as a result of this prescribed medication.
What are circumstances in which I cannot sue for a medication error?
Sometimes, a medication error does not constitute a medical malpractice claim. This is in cases such as simply being prescribed the wrong medication or not receiving the desired effect from the medication.
Nonetheless, if you are certain that your trusted medical professional practiced negligence, you must retain the services of a competent New York City medical malpractice attorney. You should not have to go through this alone, and you should have as much assistance as possible to obtain the financial compensation that you require to heal. Do not hesitate in picking up the phone and scheduling your initial consultation with us today.