There are few auto accidents more frightening than truck accidents. Oftentimes, when people are involved in a collision with a truck, they sustain very serious injuries that can affect them for months, years, or even permanently. If you have recently been injured in a truck accident, you must continue reading and reach out to our experienced New York City personal injury attorney to learn more about how our firm can help you through the legal process going forward. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What should I do after being injured in an accident?
If you are involved in a truck accident, there are several things you should do to maximize your chances of winning a future personal injury claim. Please take the following steps, as long as you are physically capable of doing so:
- Call the police and inform them of the accident.
- While you await their arrival, ask the truck driver for his or her insurance information.
- Take pictures or videos of any damage to your vehicle, the truck, and any property.
- Ask anyone who witnessed your accident for their contact information so they may corroborate your future claim at a later date.
- After receiving medical treatment, ensure you ask your doctor for any information pertaining to your injuries.
- Retain the services of an experienced New York State personal injury attorney who knows how to gather and present evidence to win you the compensation you deserve and need.
- Do not post anything on social media that may contradict your claim, for if you do and the insurance companies see, they may use it against you to deny you compensation.
What is the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in New York State?
Every state has a statute of limitations in place regarding the amount of time individuals have to sue after being injured in an accident. The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in New York is three years, which gives the wrongly injured three years from the date of their accident to sue for an injury. Do not make the mistake of waiting any longer than three years, for if you do, you will most likely be barred from suing.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK CITY FIRM
At Mark L. Bodner, P.C., we are committed to guiding clients through each step of the medical malpractice and personal injury claims process. Our firm understands how traumatic it can be when you become a victim of negligence. We are prepared to fight on your behalf to help you recover a maximum compensation award. Contact our firm today.