Will I Have to Sue My Friend if I am Injured as a Passenger in a Car Accident in NY?

car collision accident

If you were recently injured in a car accident as a passenger, you are most likely now wondering whether you will have to sue your friend or relative for the compensation you require to heal. Please continue reading and speak with our New York City personal injury attorney to learn more about the legal process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Will I have to sue my friend if I am injured as a passenger in a car accident?

If you were injured as a passenger in a car accident, you most likely require financial compensation to help cover the cost of your medical bills and more, however, you also do not want to sue your friend for obvious reasons. Fortunately, when you file a personal injury claim, you are not suing your friend, and instead, you are actually suing your friend’s insurance company.

What should I do after being injured in a car accident?

After sustaining an injury in a car accident, the first thing you should do is call the police to the scene of the accident. You should then ask any witnesses for their contact information. Next, you should take pictures of the scene of the accident and get your friend’s insurance information. You should then seek immediate medical treatment and obtain all medical documentation associated with your injury from your doctor. Finally, you should hire a New York City personal injury attorney who can initiate the claims process and work to recover the financial compensation you deserve and need. Our firm is here to assist you.

How long will I have to file a personal injury claim after being injured in a car accident in New York State?

If you are injured in a car accident in New York State, it is critical that you do not delay filing your personal injury claim, as there is a statute of limitations in place that acts as a time limit for filing such claims. The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in New York State is, generally, three years, which means that in most cases, you will have three years from the date of your accident to take legal action against the liable party. Waiting any longer than three years will most likely result in you losing your right to sue. Give us a call today so we can get started.


At Mark L. Bodner, P.C., we are committed to guiding clients through each step of the medical malpractice and personal injury claims process. Our firm understands how traumatic it can be when you become a victim of negligence. We are prepared to fight on your behalf to help you recover a maximum compensation award.聽Contact our firm today.