Injured in a Sidewalk Accident? Here’s What You Need to Know.

wooden gavel concept

When we hear the word “accident,” we generally think of auto accidents. However, accidents can happen anyplace, anywhere, and oftentimes, they occur when we least expect them. People are injured every day in sidewalk accidents in New York City, whether due to insufficient lighting, uneven pavement, potholes, loose debris causing slip and falls, or otherwise. If you are someone who has recently wrongfully sustained injuries in a sidewalk accident, you must read on and reach out to our experienced New York City personal injury attorney to learn more about how our firm can help you through every step of the claims process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Can I sue after being injured in a sidewalk accident?

Fortunately, in many cases, if you have been wrongly injured, you may sue. However, you will first have to hire an experienced New York City personal injury attorney who can gather and present all the evidence needed to prove that the property owner knew, or should have reasonably known about the unsafe sidewalk conditions, failed to take action to fix them, and that you were injured and sustained significant damages as a result. Some of the most valuable forms of evidence can include pictures of the unsafe sidewalk conditions, surveillance footage of the accident as it happened (we may be able to subpoena this), medial documentation detailing the origin and extent of your injuries, witness statements, police reports, and more.

How long do I have to sue a negligent property owner for an injury in New York City?

You should note, however, that you must retain the services of an attorney sooner, rather than later, as there is a statute of limitations in place for personal injury claims. Generally, the statute of limitations in New York State is three years, giving the wrongly injured three years from the date of their accident to pursue legal action against the party who caused their injuries. However, if you are injured on property owned by a municipality, you will have to file a Notice of Claim in a matter of months if you wish to sue. No matter your case, time is of the essence, and you need an attorney who can efficiently represent your best interests. We are here to help.


At Mark L. Bodner, P.C., we are committed to guiding clients through each step of the medical malpractice and personal injury claims process. Our firm understands how traumatic it can be when you become a victim of negligence. We are prepared to fight on your behalf to help you recover a maximum compensation award.聽Contact our firm today.