Stores across the U.S. are beginning to reopen, and though this is a great sign, the more people flocking to stores, the greater the chances of an accident occurring. Please read on and reach out to our experienced New York City personal injury attorney to learn more about retail store accidents and how our firm can help you if you were injured in one.
What are the most common causes of retail store accidents?
There are few things more frightening, and potentially life-altering than sustaining serious injuries in a slip and fall accident. Unfortunately, these types of accidents are all too common in retail stores and their surrounding properties. For example, when retail stores have unsafe parking lots and sidewalks, whether due to potholes, uneven pavement, or inadequate lighting preventing customers from seeing potential safety hazards, people can sustain serious injuries as a result. Additionally, defective elevators and escalators are also fairly common causes of serious accidents. Spills left unattended frequently lead to slip and falls, and falling merchandise from shelves can seriously harm unsuspecting customers. The bottom line is that if your attorney can prove that the property owner or staff knew or should have reasonably known about the unsafe conditions, failed to take action to fix them and that you were injured and incurred significant damages as a result, there is a very good chance you will be entitled to financial compensation.
What should I do if I am injured in an NYC retail store?
If you are injured in a retail establishment, there are several steps you may take to bolster your chances of winning a future personal injury claim. They are as follows:
- First, call the police.
- Next, notify the store owner of your injuries and ensure they write up a store incident report.
- From here, ask anyone who saw your accident for their contact information.
- Take pictures of the unsafe conditions that caused your accident.
- Obtain medical documentation pertaining to your injuries from your doctor.
- Retain the services of a knowledgeable New York City personal injury attorney who knows the ins and outs of the claims process ahead. Ensure you file your claim within three years of the date of your accident, in accordance with New York State’s statute of limitations. Failing to do so will most likely result in you losing your right to compensation.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK CITY FIRM
At Mark L. Bodner, P.C., we are committed to guiding clients through each step of the medical malpractice and personal injury claims process. Our firm understands how traumatic it can be when you become a victim of negligence. We are prepared to fight on your behalf to help you recover a maximum compensation award. Contact our firm today.