Labor Day Drunk Driver Accidents in NY | What You Should Know

Labor Day is a day of celebration. Naturally, many people celebrate by having a drink or two. Of course, there is nothing wrong with doing so, as long as you have a place to stay for the night or do not plan on driving. Unfortunately, many people decide to get behind the wheel after having a drink, and when they do serious accidents can occur. Please continue reading and speak with our experienced New York City personal injury attorney to learn more about drunk driving car accidents and how we can help you if you are the victim of one. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What should I do if I am injured in an accident with a drunk driver?

If you are injured in a car accident with a drunk driver, the very first thing you should do is call the police, as they will report the incident and test the driver to determine whether he or she is truly intoxicated. This will play a huge role in your future personal injury claim. From here, you should ask all witnesses for their contact information, take pictures of any damage to your vehicle, the other motorist’s vehicle, and your injuries, and then seek immediate medical attention. Once treated, you must hire an experienced New York City personal injury attorney who can work to uncover all additional evidence needed to prove your personal injury claim.

What is New York State’s dram shop law?

Many states across the country have dram shop laws in place. Essentially, these laws govern whether someone who has been injured by a drunk driver can sue the establishment that served the drunk driver alcohol for their injuries. New York is one of those states. New York’s dram shop law essentially states that all establishments who serve someone who is either a minor under the age of 21, a habitual drunkard, or someone who is visibly intoxicated may be held liable for any accident caused by that intoxicated person. Therefore, if you are injured in an accident and can prove that the establishment in question served the individual who was already visibly intoxicated and then that person got in his car and caused your accident, you should be able to sue both the driver and the bar/restaurant or establishment in question.


At Mark L. Bodner, P.C., we are committed to guiding clients through each step of the medical malpractice and personal injury claims process. Our firm understands how traumatic it can be when you become a victim of negligence. We are prepared to fight on your behalf to help you recover a maximum compensation award.聽Contact our firm today.